Believe it or not . . . . Bob and Lola now have a cell phone. Robert decided it would be best if they had one on them for emergency purposes. (In case they went out driving around and something happened . . . then they could call someone.) What actually started the quest, was Bob telling Robert he could hear "very loud and clear" when he was talking to Drew on my cell phone one day. (Drew confirmed later that he was yelling into the phone to talk with Bob.) At any rate, Rj brought one home for him last week. Then, we decided he couldn't hear very well on it, so Robert found a different one. He brought the new one to Bob yesterday evening (the night before they left for their trip to Baker.)
Poor Bob. He had already read the entire owner's manual on the first phone and finally just figured out how to work the darn thing. Now he had to start all over! AND he didn't have much time before they left to figure it out. The important thing we showed him was how to lock the keypad. The new phone is not a flip phone like his old one. It took a couple of times, but he figured it out. It'll definitely give him something to do when he is bored.
Just a warning for those of you that might get phone calls from Bob. He brings up the address book and finds the person he wants to call (yes, all of you important people are in his address book, so you might receive a call from him at any given time!) and he pushes the green button. Then, he watches the screen for a while before he puts the phone up to his ear! So, if you get a call from him, you will answer "hello" and hear absolutely nothing. You will then say "hello" again and still hear absolutely nothing. If you hold on and patiently wait . . . then you will hear Bob say "hell-0." (I know this because I've experienced it many times . . . I hung up on him quite a few times before I realized what it was he was doing.) I called him back once (from my cell phone to their land line thinking it was a celluar connection problem.) I got Lola. I told her Bob had called me and I wanted to know what it was he wanted. She proceeded to tell me she thought he was just going to tell me about an article in the newspaper he had read that day. While I'm on the phone with Lola, my phone beeps and sure enough . . . Bob is calling me from their porch with his cell phone!! Holy Guacamole!!!! So . . . you are now forewarned . . . if you have a call-waiting feature on your telephone, it is entirely possible you might be talking to one of them and get a call from the other one at the same time!!
We tested Bob again last night when he got the new phone and sure enough, once he dialed the number, he was more interested in watching the screen than hearing the voice on the other end! We pointed out what he was doing and thought he understood and therefore the problem was fixed. Or so we thought. (Until I received a call from him today and yet again . . . had to say hello a half a dozen times before he came on the phone.) I don't know . . . maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks!? We are confident he will catch on (hopefully sooner than later.)

No comments:
Post a Comment